Skip to main content

You’ve got your eyes on a car, and it’s love at first sight. You can already imagine yourself cruising down the M25 or tackling the narrow roads of Edinburgh.

But before you let your dreams run too wild, let’s talk about something a little less romantic but incredibly essential – car insurance classes in the UK. Whether you’re buying an annual policy, or temporary car insurance, choosing the right class of use can make a world of difference to how much you pay, the level of cover you receive, and critically – whether you’re insured or not.

What are the different car insurance classes of use?

Before we get into the nitty-gritty, let’s talk basics. Generally, UK car insurance comes in three main flavours:

  • Fully Comprehensive: The full package
  • Third Party, Fire and Theft: The middle ground
  • Third Party Only: The absolute bare minimum required by law

If you’re new to insurance, we look in more detail about the levels of car insurance cover, so we’ve not repeated that here.

Now, within these overarching categories, we have ‘classes of use‘. Think of these as the sub-levels of coverage, which specify exactly how and for what purposes you can use your car or van.

Social, Domestic, and Pleasure (SDP): This is purely for personal use. This does not cover regularly commuting to and from your place of work, but it would cover a journey to a railway station as part of a commute. If you’re normally home based, and occasionally need to go to an office or meeting, this cover should be fine for that.

SDP + commuting (SDP+C): This extends the SDP cover to include driving to and from a single place of work. It doesn’t include using your vehicle for your job on a routine basis – such as regularly driving to meet clients, or transporting goods or people.

SDP+C plus personal business use: This covers your vehicle for work-related journeys, but does not include activities like taxi, distribution, deliveries, or sales. Within Business Use, there are important sub-levels:

Class 1 business – this is for situations where you need to travel to more than one place for business purposes. e.g. site visits or driving to various business meetings. Zixty temporary car insurance includes Class 1 business use.

Class 2 business – this extends Class 1 to include another named driver, such as your spouse, partner, or a colleague if they also use your car or van for business purposes.

Class 3 business – this is sometimes called ‘commercial travelling’, this can potentially cover unlimited miles and an unlimited number of destinations. e.g. if you’re a sales rep, for example. This class may cover delivering samples, but it won’t cover business goods or merchandise – you’ll need commercial insurance for that. Some insurance providers will ask for extra details when looking for this class of cover, so they can assess how much driving you’ll be doing.

Commercial Use – This is the full monty, covering you for all the above, plus activities like deliveries, operating as a taxi, or a driving instructor.

Pieces of chalk

Why does choosing the right class of use matter?

Imagine claiming insurance after an accident only to find out you’re not covered for that specific use of your car. Nightmare, right? Your ‘class of use’ is a binding contract that spells out when you’re covered and when you’re not. Failure to adhere to it could invalidate your policy, leaving you high and dry when you most need support. Plus, picking the right class ensures you’re not overpaying for coverage you don’t need.

We have a separate article that’s dedicated to choosing the right type of insurance, and if you want to look further afield, the Money Advice Service has impartial advice.

Which class of use is cheaper for car insurance?

If you’re thinking “cheaper is better,” it’s time for a reality check. It’s not always the case, especially with insurance. SDP may be cheaper than Business or Commercial Use simply because it typically involves less driving and therefore less risk.

You should always choose the Class of Use that is matched to your use of the vehicle, else you may be committing fraud, and in the event of a claim, your claim may be rejected, or any claim payment may be reduced.

What happens if I choose the wrong class of use?

Choosing the wrong class could void your insurance policy. Yep, you heard that right. If you’re involved in an accident while using your car for something other than what’s specified in your class of use, your insurer could refuse to pay out. If you realise that you’ve made an honest mistake, or your circumstances have changed, you should contact your insurance company immediately. Keeping schtum and hoping for the best won’t cut it.

What Class of Use do I get with temporary car insurance?

With Zixty temporary car insurance and temporary van insurance you get SDP & Business Use Class 1. If you’re going to use your car or van for other purposes, our policy isn’t right for you.

Your responsibilities as the buyer

Insurance is a two-way street. While it’s the insurer’s job to make everything transparent, it’s your responsibility to be honest and choose wisely. You need to read the terms carefully and think about how you intend to use the vehicle.

Remember : declaring the wrong use of the vehicle could be viewed as fraud – just the same as Fronting. Earning a few quid delivering pizzas in evenings on a policy that doesn’t include commercial use could leave you and anything you damage or injure, uninsured. Getting caught could mean that getting insurance in the future is a whole lot more difficult and a whole lot more expensive.

In conclusion

Navigating through the classes of use in UK car insurance is not just another boring task on your to-do list; it’s a vital step in ensuring that you, your pocket, and your beloved ride are adequately protected. So whether you’re traversing the bustling streets of London, the scenic routes of Cardiff, or the hills of Edinburgh, make sure you’re covered for all your journeys. It may seem like a hassle now, but it’s better to be safe now than sorry later.

Stay safe